There is power in massage. In fact it has long been known and practiced for its therapeutic effects. It has always been administrated to patients to fully recover from their current sick state. Different studies have also been conducted to prove its therapeutic claims and so far there have been a lot of evidences linking its effectiveness in curing specific health conditions.
Massage which is applying pressure and movement on the body has a long list of benefits. It can increase joint mobility, restore range of motion to stiff joints, improve muscle tone and balance, relieve muscular tightness, stiffness, and spasms, increases flexibility in the muscles, increases blood circulation, promotes rapid removal of toxin and waste products, improve circulation , enhance blood flow, strengthen immune system, reduce stress and anxiety and a lot more.
There are different kinds of massage. They vary depending on where they came from. Some of the most popular massages are listed below and how they are performed.
1. Swedish Massage. This uses five styles of long, flowing strokes which are sliding or gliding, kneading, rhythmic tapping, working across the muscle fiber, vibration and tapping.
2. Myofascial Release Massage. This kind uses applying compression or tension in different directions otherwise known as skin rolling.
3. Deep Tissue Massage. Focusing on the muscles located below the surface of the top muscles, this type of massage uses a dedicated set of techniques and strokes and will not be used for the whole body in one session.
4. Breema Massage. The strokes here involves rhythmical and gentle leans and stretches.
5. Hot Stone Massage. This type uses heated, smooth stones that will be placed on certain points on the body. The stones may also be used by the therapist on the client and will apply gentle pressure on it.
6. Shiatsu Massage. This type of massage uses localized finger pressure in a rhythmic sequence on acupuncture meridians. Each point is held for 2-8 seconds.
7. Aromatherapy Massage. This type of massage involves massage therapy with one or more essential oils.
8. Thai Massage. This type of massage involves gentle pressure on specific points as well as compressions and stretches.
9. Slimming Massage. This type of massage involves acupuncture and pressure. Its techniques may include rubbing, slapping, striking, tapping, and providing friction.
10. Tui Na and Zhi Ya Massage. These are traditional Chinese massages that involve pushing, stretching, kneading the muscle, pinching, and pressing at acupuncture points.